Thursday, September 16, 2010

It's about that time.

Alas, all good things must come to an end. Fortunately, that doesn't mean I have to leave NYC! It only means that I need to begin gearing myself up towards finding a "Real Job." I've been happily surviving on the "Government Artist Fund" i.e. Unemployment for a while, and I could extend come November, but my weekly benefit amount will be less than I can afford to live on. Bummer. But hey, things could always be worse! I woke up feeling a little anxsty about it even though it's still September, but the months fly by up here. I didn't want to be caught unprepared. So, I began putting out the feelers with friends first on Facebook. I'm hoping to get a job serving in a restaurant. I know for a fact that with the right gig I could make a killing and even get to the point where I am only working a few nights a week, but I have to find that gig! I'm also hoping to get some clowning gigs.

One thing that will be nice when I get "the right gig," is that I will hopefully find myself making more than I do on unemployment, and I'll actually be freed up to do more than simply survive. You know, the extravagantly luxurious things such as work on paying off my credit card, get health insurance-elitist things such as those!

Everything has its trade-off. On unemployment, my schedule was free and I could really get the rest I needed for classes and auditions. With a job, I'll definitely have to budget my time better so that I'm rested, but as I said before, I may be able to afford more. I enjoy working, fortunately, and I'm about at that point where I'm ready to do a little more in the city than simply enjoy it. I trust that somehow (perhaps with some digging,) the right job will present itself at the right time. After all, it simply has to.

By the way, I haven't given up hope that there is always a chance that I may book something before I have to get a job or run out of my dear Government Artist Funds. Let's not forget what I'm up here for.

No comments:

Post a Comment