Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Elena Shapiro

As I document this season, at times I may have to write about things that are sad to me. I hope I don't have to write about one this tragic again. This past weekend, I was awakened by a phone call from my Father at around seven in the morning. I hate receiving calls from home this early on a workday because only bad news accompanies the greeting. On this such day, my Father told me that Elena Shapiro had been killed in a car accident. Elena was the daughter of one of the teachers(Brantly Shapiro)from whom my Mother took classes in those early years when I caught the "ballet bug." In those days, I would take classes from her as well when my schedule would permit, and along the way I met Elena. She probably would have been about four or five when I met her, and when I left North Carolina she was ten.

Two years ago, Brantly accompanied Elena to Kansas City to audition for KCB. I couldn't believe my eyes. The little girl I had known only from a distance had grown up into a beautiful young lady and an extremely talented dancer. I had a lovely couple of days visiting with them and hearing Brantly brag about her daughter's accomplishments.

The loss of Elena has shaken me to my core, and I wanted to make people aware of her name and ask for thoughts and prayers to be with the Shapiro family.

Elena, I never had the honor of knowing you well, but I would love to honor your memory by dancing my last year for you. Please know that you will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment