Thursday, September 24, 2009

Food for thought.

I feel that I learn something new every day. Today, I was given a quote that my Grandmother used to say to my Mother.

"Embrace the surprises."

It made me think of how many times in my life I have been "surprised." Some times have been lovely and exciting, and of course some have been terrible and painful. This phrase reminded me of a simple fact of which I am becoming increasingly aware. There is so much out of my control. Practically everything is, so why not go ahead and "embrace the surprises." Good or bad, I want to continue meeting them head on so that at the end of my life I can look back and have no major regrets.

The author C.S. Lewis talked about being "Surprised by joy."

To me, this piggy-backs perfectly on my Grandmother's phrase. I have had many joyful times in my life, and I have had some extreme lows to compare them to. Often, I have felt that the lows have been my fault-my inability to pull myself up and find the "joy" in my life. When I look back and compare the scenarios-joy versus the lack thereof, I find that sometimes the line is thin between the two-yet, the positive times were so much more pleasant. Thereby, if at times it is almost as easy to be miserable as it is to by happy, then why not simply choose to try and be happy?!?

I look forward to and welcome with open arms the surprises that are coming my way. Of course, I hope that they are mostly positive ones, but I know that through the strength I have and people around me to lift me up, I will meet them head on.

No comments:

Post a Comment