Thursday, July 1, 2010

Tap

Oh boy taking tap continues to be a challenge. However, I am continually being encouraged by the teachers I am taking from. I don't know why this surprises me. Perhaps it is stemming from the perfectionism that comes from ballet training. Yes, tap has to be completely perfect too, and in a way more so, or the sounds won't be correct. It's strange still how even after a class where I feel I have danced terribly, I am able to walk away feeling ok.

I suppose I should put myself in the teachers shoes. After all, it's not hard because I've been a teacher for years. Even when a student isn't up to the highest level I praise their hard work. I think another reason I am hard on myself is that because at a certain point in ballet, one knows whether or not one is going to have the chops to "make it" or not. Thereby, I tend to be down on myself when I don't catch on as fast as I would like. I actually get a bit embarrassed because I feel like I'm the student who shouldn't be in a class of the level I am taking. Then, just when I feel I am on the verge of tears (and I smile and laugh at myself to avoid that,) the teacher tells me he's proud of me for working so hard. My day is suddenly shinier, and I have an ounce more confidence to keep coming back. So, that's what I'm going to do! It may kill me, but I'm going to keep coming back.

The end.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it neat to learn new things? :D

    Had you taken tap before?

    What are the difficulties you notice as a ballet dancer doing tap? Are there things which you think might make it harder for you, with your background?
    (I am asking because I have noticed that some ballet dancers have a harder time relaxing certain things -such as the ankles- when doing tap for the first time)

    ReplyDelete