Friday, January 15, 2010

Farewell Christmas.

Okay, it's gone. Although my decorations have been down for over a week, my huge Christmas tree has been standing waiting to be hauled away for kindling by a co-worker. Due to weather and scheduling dilemmas, I finally decided to just take it out to the dumpster.

What does this have to do with my retirement? To me, this signifies letting go of something that has been special to me here in my lovely home. I won't see another tree in this apartment. I won't have another Christmas caroling party with my friends here. In a way, as long as the tree was standing, I was in denial that the festivities were over.

I am admittedly a sap when it comes to things like this, so there you have it. So long Kansas City holidays. This is where I am tonight on this adventure.

On the grander scheme of things, a dear friend of mine found a wonderful deal on an apartment in New York for himself. This encouraged me to know that I will be okay when it's my time to look. Somewhere, a dark part of me feels that I should be more nervous about this than I am, but I still feel an overall sense of calm. I keep reminding myself that many people have made huge life changes before me. As long as I don't lose my drive, I have no reason to think that things won't work out fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment