Sunday, January 24, 2010

A wonderful two weeks.

My teacher has now left Kansas City after two intense but rewarding weeks of working on Lambarena with the company. She really breathed such lovely life and energy into the environment amongst the dancers. I feel so fortunate to also have gotten to take her classes again while she was here. She has a unique way of pushing me that I respond well to.

Ballet instructing and coaching for professional dancers has to be done in such a way that is different from coaching students. We have different needs as we progress and become more seasoned as artists. I know that for myself, I no longer respond to being yelled at as I may have once upon a time. I love the ever strict mentality of ballet, but I respond to a gentler, more nurturing tone, and this is exactly how my teacher worked with us.

Even in times of frustration, she stayed above board and positive with us. I don't know how she did it. I do know that I am sad that she is gone, but I am glad that she will continue working throughout the dance world and bringing her light to those who need refreshment.

No comments:

Post a Comment