Tuesday, January 5, 2010

New Experiences.

Today I learned of a theatre company that will be holding auditions in Kansas City this month. Here's the thing. It's of the non-musical variety. I emailed and was given an audition time. I have to prepare two contrasting monologues, and I couldn't be more thrilled.

I know I have tons to learn, but I believe in what I call the "sink or swim method." I want to jump into the deep end and take risks. I know that I need to get into more acting classes in order to really take hold of the technical aspects of straight theatre where I am less experienced. However, I know that I love what I do, and just like I did with dance, I want to push myself and see how far I can go. After all, an audition is another chance to perform! I'll have about four minutes to put on a mini show! Thereby, I'm going to get some coaching and go for it! At 5:10pm on Monday the 18th, I'll be performing two monologues. I'll be as ready as I can be, and I will have a wonderful time.

I am entering a completely different world than that which I am most comfortable. Why not?!? Why limit myself to just one type of theatre? In many ways I feel that I did that with dance. I was so focused in my training on ballet (mostly because that's all I had time for) that I didn't get as well versed as I now know would have been helpful in areas such as tap and jazz, and now I feel I'm playing catch up. Thereby, why not give straight theatre a try? Who knows? I could be good at it. I may not get the role, but the answer is always "No" to those who don't try.

3 comments:

  1. hey! great! as they say over here, "toi toi toi" for your audition. (meaning, "break a leg". ;))
    -t-

    ReplyDelete
  2. my husband has been a working actor (mainly stage) for over thirty years now. It is not for the faint of heart. :) I think, though, that with your discipline, which you must have from dancing, you will be able to knuckle-down and do the "boring" things which are important to making a good actor. Technique (also speaking-technique) is vital, not only for doing the job, but for staying healthy in it. :)
    -t-

    ReplyDelete