Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Taking time to think.

I have an amazing ability to get caught up in my life(as I'm sure we all do) and lose perspective on the world around me. This isn't a bad thing, but lately I have begun acknowledging my need for people. I don't want to lead anyone to believe that I've been reclusive by any means, but in my stressful moments I am having to remind myself that I am surrounded by caring and wonderful friends.

In some ways, this transition could be a lonely time. It is natural to begin to pull away from people as I begin to get closer to "good bye," but for me this is an unsafe place to be. I'm learning that it is okay to stay close to people and ask for help when I need it. Sometimes I feel guilty and selfish asking over and over for assistance, but I know that someday I will be able to offer my help to someone in a situation that is possibly like mine.

As I take time to accept the generosity of those around me and think of all the friendships I still stand to make, nurture and enrich in Kansas City, I am reminded that it is okay to take a break. I can have people over for dinner. I can meet someone for coffee. I can go to a movie. I can and will do these things without worrying that I am losing time. In the end, my personal sanity is the most important, and I accept that I find a lot of comfort by surrounding myself with amazing people.

No comments:

Post a Comment