Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thankful.

I am an extremely lucky guy. I had twelve wonderful people over for Thanksgiving dinner. Everything came out perfectly-even my turkey! Trust me, the bird was low on the importance factor in the grand scheme of things.

As far as I know, and for what I'm planning, this was my last Thanksgiving in Kansas City. It was definitely the last one in my loft. Keeping myself busy by hosting, I didn't have time to dwell too much on the bitter sweetness of the event. Now that everyone is gone, of course, I have plenty of time!

Ten Thanksgivings. l am incredibly aware of how important holidays are. I have always appreciated them, but the idea of leaving my "home" made today seem all the more precious. Today was a day I will not soon forget. The people made it perfect for me. The warmth in the room was intoxicating. What is more beautiful than a dozen friends coming together to celebrate the gifts we've all been given.

Whether one considers themselves "religious" or not is of no importance to me on a day like today. What stood out to me was the undeniable fact that everyone in the room had someone and something to be thankful for. Perhaps I'm stating the obvious, but by just being there, we had each other to give thanks for.

Whenever one moves and begins a new life in a new location, friends and acquaintances change and shift. That is a scary thing for me. I've never been big on change. However, whatever changes may come-whomever time and location puts into my life, I will always love and cherish the people I have laughed, cried, danced, grown and shared my life with for a decade in Kansas City.

No comments:

Post a Comment