Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas Time!

As luck would have it, my last Christmas in Kansas City has turned out to be a "White Christmas." Most of my immediate family made it to town to see my last Nutcracker and be with me for the Holiday. The shows have been going well over the last couple of days, and for that I am thankful.

I may be one of the only dancers who feels this way (I'm sure I'm not,) but I really hope we don't get snowed out of any performances. I want every last chance on that stage. I can't imagine why anyone would rather not be up there. I don't care how tired and sore I am, being on stage is the place to be. All to soon, it will be over. When we're younger, we don't really have a true grasp on this concept. We all feel so artistically immortal in the early years. (note: I don't have to do Snow and Waltz of the Flowers, which I understand to be grueling time after time.)

I received a Christmas card from a dear teacher of mine from NCSA. He had an encouraging way to state and look at retirement. He said that when he finished dancing with the American Ballet Theatre, he stated that he was "Graduating" from dance. I thought that was genuinely a unique and not-so-solemn way to express it as "Retiring."

I'm considering adopting this phrase-at least on the days when I'm not feeling super dramatic. (a.k.a. when I'm not feeling like myself.) Other than that, I think I'll continue going for the surprised and somewhat shocked look when I tell people I'm retiring. After all, it is fun to say.

Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment