Sunday, December 6, 2009

Overwhelmed.

I am not surprised by the fact that I have touched peoples lives around me in my time here. I don't mean for that to sound cocky, but how could their lives not be touched if mine has been by them? Interaction with one another is the most basic human instinct I can think of. We impact those around us one many levels daily-positively and negatively. Fortunately I have a positive story tonight.

Tonight and last night as I had spoken that I would, I had the great pleasure of watching my ballet be performed by my students. Oh my. I really couldn't be more proud of them. They more than rose to the occasion. The best part for me was that they looked like they were enjoying themselves.

After tonight's performance, the kids presented the teachers with flowers. Then, the director gave me the mic in order that I may say some words to my dancers and the audience. I held it together! I didn't break down and blubber like a baby. I saved the tears until one of my students fell apart and could barely breathe she was crying so hard. It's hard for me to believe that I am that valuable to anyone. It really goes to show that two nights a week can really make an impact on someones life. What a huge responsibility.

As I was leaving the theatre, I was even more humbled as several parents thanked me for the work I had done with their children. They had such kind things to say to me, and I wasn't quite sure how to accept their praise. What an honor it is to have people put so much faith in me. They trust me with the education and safety of their children. They believe that I am good enough to assist with their development. I've never really thought of it this way until now. Thereby, this is quite a lot to digest.

Tomorrow it's back into the studio for ballet class-we'll see who shows up after the weekend of performances! Whether it's a small class or a large one, I will do my best to guide them and to soak up all the time I have with them before it's the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment