Sunday, October 4, 2009

Leggo My Ego: Part ll

I had spoken in an earlier posting about needing to learn to come to peace with not being recognized on the street for my work after I leave the ballet and move to New York. Well, I had a lovely experience this week that served to remind me that perhaps I can still enjoy my medium fish-small pond notoriety for a bit longer yet.

I recently purchased a new computer, and I was taking it to the store to have the data from my old machine transferred onto it. As I was speaking to the technician and going over the ins and outs of the transfer, she suddenly asked me if I knew a certain dancer. I said "Of course! We worked together for years!"(my internal monologue went a bit more like this, "Ha! Another person who knows who I am! I've still got it!") I went on to say how this was my tenth and last season with the ballet-the normal line that I give to my adoring public.(please read the last part with the sarcastic tone it was intended to have.) It turns out that this technician plays in a band with the before mentioned dancer's husband, and had seen me perform. Nice things were said, and of course it felt great to have my work be appreciated. It was exactly the ego boost that I needed.

After we finalized the transaction, I said goodbye to my computer and the technician. With a big smile on my face and a bit more spring in my step than usual, I departed the store to go on with my day. As I was unlocking my car door I caught sight of my reflection in the window. There, upon my chest in bold white lettering against a black t-shirt were three words: Kansas City Ballet.

I did all that I could think to do at that moment. I began laughing out loud in the middle of the sidewalk! Of all the dumb luck! I suppose I should rewrite the song to say, "You're so vain, you probably think this shirt is about you..."

No comments:

Post a Comment