Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Theatre week: Day 2

One of the most rewarding parts of this job is seeing the finished product come to the stage. After all, this is what it is all about! Today I had the joy of watching the parts of the show that I'm not in, which is three out of the four pieces(predominately women-I'm not upset!) The dancers really brought themselves into the work. I don't mean to sound surprised because I'm not. I guess I just love being reminded of the heart behind what we do. No matter how unhappy we are from time to time, no matter how much we fetch and moan, no matter how grumpy with one another we may get, there is no question in my mind when I see everyone pulling together that we love what we do.

I loved being at the theatre today. I loved getting to chat with my colleagues and praise them for a job well done. I want them to know that I am so proud of their growth. Several of them I've gotten to watch from the time they joined in their teens, and it is so extraordinary to see them blossoming into mature artists. I am sad that I won't get to see the new ones grow this way, but that's ok. The ones I watched grow will watch them grow. Hopefully, the new "senior" dancers who I knew as new artists will be able to appreciate and nurture them as they mature. What a unique gift this career can be when we learn that it doesn't revolve around ourselves. It is about the whole product. We are allowed to pass it on to the next generation. How exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment