Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A blast from the past.

My apartment looks like Armageddon hit and left no survivors. I have removed everything but clothes from my closets. I feel that I need to see what I have in order to begin pairing things down and organize this move.

As I was checking the pockets of an old back pack, I found two souvenir key chains from auditions for the School of American Ballet (the official school of the New York City Ballet) from my time in high school. It was a treat to think back to the "old days" when I was just an aspiring student wondering if I would make it into a summer training program.

I also stumbled across an old composition notebook from 1996. At the end of summer programs, we as students would write notes to each other as we parted ways-I wonder if the kids still do this now? Page one had a short message from a dancer who I would end up dancing with during my first season with Kansas City Ballet. He is now a principal dancer with the Cincinnati Ballet. It is wild to think of the people you meet at such a young age in this field and how they stay in your life on some level. We really affect one another. It's such a small world.

This makes me once again pause to think how grateful I am for the memories I've made and the people I have met. I know no other lifestyle, but I cannot think that any other field is as unique as this one in this manner. We dancers share something rare. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment