Friday, April 16, 2010

"What I did for love."

Tonight, I had the privilege of seeing the national tour of "A Chorus Line" here in Kansas City. I went alone, and I'm thankful that I did. I purchased an inexpensive balcony seat, and I had my binoculars in tow. When I was being seated, the usher told me to take a closer seat because the show wouldn't be sold out. Furthermore, he told me I could move down even closer once the show began.

As instructed, I moved down to a closer seat, and this proved to be disastrous. As the famous opening of the show (which is about auditioning for a Broadway show) began, I completely lost it. To say I became choked up would be an understatement. It was amazing that this show that I am all too familiar with as a classic piece of American theatre now held a different message for me. I quickly and quietely moved back up into the balcony to a seat away from other audience members, and it is a good thing I did! I cried for over half of the two hour and fifteen minute-no intermission show.

Watching this story about hopeful auditionees and what they go through is now my life, and it will begin to be even more so over the next few months. I left the theatre feeling inspired but exhausted. As I let the stories told in that show give me hope and encouragement for what is to come, I renewed a vow to myself. Failure is not an option. I will do whatever it takes to be a success on the highest level I am able to. Perhaps I should just say "God I hope I get it" and leave it at that for now.

2 comments: