Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Momentos.

I have begun the tedious process of putting things in boxes as I prepare for my move. One of the more difficult things has been sorting through which books to keep and which to get rid of. I am realizing that I am lucky on one side of things because I don't have a lot of things that don't mean much to me, but I am unlucky because this means there isn't much that I'm willing to part with! This may prove problematic moving into a small apartment!

Memories flooded to me as I was putting books in boxes. Three bookmarks in particular made me a bit misty-eyed. One was a bookmark from KC Ballet's production of "The Nutcracker" from my second year in the company. It had the picture of a dancer/friend who has long since retired. Another had a theatre schedule from the 2003 Winter Series. It was fun to look back and remember what I was performing then. Another was a hand made Christmas card from a girl who was hired as an apprentice with me and was only here for my first year before moving on. This was perhaps the most special thing because I realized again how important my friendships are to me as I am still in touch with her. I found comfort in this because it is a reminder that even though I may be moving away from my "home," I will still remain in touch with the people who have become so close to me over the years.

It is such a gift to come across memories like these. I am excited to see what more I may dig up as this move continues.

Oh! I received another pleasant surprise this evening when one of my best friends and former coworker called to tell me he would be coming into town tomorrow and staying for the rest of the week! I am looking very much forward to his visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment