Tuesday, April 20, 2010

My Students.

They don't cease to amaze me. They are a hot mess at times, but I can't help but love my students. Tonight, we had the first run through of their Spring concert. Parts of my piece still need a lot of work before I'll be happy with it, but I could definitely see their effort. Sometimes, it's easier to feel that the "other" pieces are the ones the kids care most about, but that's only because my ego is attached to my own work.

I know that classical ballet is not the favorite genre of many of the students, but as it is my forte, I feel that I shouldn't slack off when choreographing for them. Who knows, I may be their main exposure to the form.

This said, I was terribly impressed by them tonight. The show is still a week and a half away, and I will be excited to see it completed. I am going to miss being a teacher and resident choreographer. Since I have been there for eight years, it is almost as much a home to me as the KC Ballet. It's hard to think of closing two chapters at once, but it is amazing to think that I have been fortunate enough to be a part of something so wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment