Thursday, May 6, 2010

Another opening, another show...

This wasn't just any opening for me. This was it. This was the last time I will open a Kansas City Ballet performance as a member of the company. I've said it before, and I'll take the luxury of saying it again, where did the time go?!?

The show was a huge success. The audience was receptive and jovial. As I watched from backstage, I tried to savor every moment. I took in the view of the dancers from the wings with lighting "booms" in the way, and I tried to take mental snapshots. I have had the best seat in the house for years. The audience sees the perfect illusion. Those in the wings see the true beauty in the perfection and imperfection. They are both amazing in their own rights. I actually prefer the latter.

Tonight, dancing George Balanchine's "Who Cares?" I let myself go. Was I perfect? No. Can and will I improve upon my performance in the next two shows I do of that piece? Yes, or at least I hope so. However, I had the time of my life. I gave everything I had to the audience and those sharing the stage with me. To me, it was my way of saying "Thank you" to everyone who has been watching for so long.

After the show, at the opening night party, I was presented with a beautiful photograph from my performance as "Iago" in "The Moor's Pavane." This was the role of my career as I've said before, and I am ecstatic to have this memory saved and framed. Several people at the party approached me and thanked me for my work here. I felt so humbled and thankful that I have added even a small speck to the portrait that is the Kansas City Ballet. I will always carry the good wishes of these audience members with me for strength as I pursue the next phase. Here I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment