Sunday, May 9, 2010

Today is the day. It is my last day as a member of the Kansas City Ballet. My whole career here in Kansas City will come to a close. I am at a loss for words. Instead of trying to come up a description of what I’m feeling now, I’ll simply say “Thank you.”

I am grateful to the audiences who have supported and watched me. Throughout the weekend I had several people tell me that they had enjoyed watching me since I arrived. Sometimes, with so many people in one company, it’s easy to feel overlooked by ones boss, and it can be discouraging. However, when I receive the feedback from the audience, my work is completely validated. Sure, we as dancers want our employers to appreciate us, and they probably do, but what we leave behind, our legacy, rests in the minds of those who paid to watch us for years.

I’ll have more to report later, but for now, this is it.


I wrote the above early this morning, and was unable to publish it due to no Internet connection. Here is part II.


I am "retired!" The performance went well, and I didn't even cry too much. I'm now sitting in the airport waiting to board for my flight to New York. All of this will settle in soon enough, but for now I'm sure I'm in denial. I know that I am excited. Up, up and away I finally go.

No comments:

Post a Comment