Saturday, May 1, 2010

Dress Code Attire.

Today, my last full rehearsal day in the studio of Kansas City Ballet was quite fine. I didn't have any emotional breakdowns-thank goodness! I simply danced and enjoyed myself. I'm ready to do these shows. For class, I wore what a student wears: white shirt, black tights, white socks and white shoes. At least that was the common attire when I was a young kid in school. My line was "I wore this coming in, I'm wearing it going out!"

Tonight, I was inspired as I watched my students perform in their Spring concert. My piece opened the show. They all seemed so excited to see me there, and I was equally excited to see how much they put into the performance. One of the most important things when being in a position of director/choreographer is to realize that once the show goes up, there is nothing left for you to do but sit back, relax and enjoy whatever is presented to you. Yes, I am critical of my work and the work of my students, but it does no one any good to come down on someone for their performance if it didn't go perfectly. This is my philosophy on this type of leadership. It promotes a safe zone where people feel encouraged to succeed. Unfortunately, it isn't always like this in the world of performance, but when it comes to myself, I can control the energy I emit to my students. As a result, I believe they felt safe to do their best, and they gave a beautiful performance. I was proud. I'll get to see it twice more tomorrow with a different cast. I can't wait to see what they bring to the work. It is exhilarating to see one's work come to life! It has been wonderful to have the chance to work with young artists over the years.

All in all, I must say that today was a nice day. I look forward to seeing what tomorrow will bring. I hope to make my last twenty-two days in Kansas City full of positive energy and good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment