Sunday, May 23, 2010

Here goes....

My last two days in Kansas City were packed to the brim. I'll hit some of the high points that meant something to me.

Story one requires some background first. Ten years ago, during the summer of 2000, I attended a jazz concert in my hometown of Mt. Airy, NC right before I was to leave home for good, and it was there that I first heard the jazz standard that says "Goin' to Kansas City, Kansas City here I come..." I've loved that song ever since. On Saturday, I went to listen to my friend's father who is an amazingly talented and versatile guitarist play jazz at an awesome barbecue joint. Talk about killing two birds with one stone-KC jazz and KC barbecue! The second song that I heard them played was-you guessed it-"Goin' to Kansas City!"

Earlier that day, the Penske moving truck rate was dropped from $609 (an already good rate) to $258 because they were late having the truck delivered! WOW!! I'd dare say this trip is a go!

On Sunday, I went to the high school graduation party of a young lady who I had first met when she was played an angel in "The Nutcracker." It was completely wild to see her grown up and preparing to go to school. It had been a couple years since I saw that family last. I had to fight back tears when watching the power point slide show of her life.

Tonight was a low-key night over drinks and food with a small group of friends. I am continually touched that people would come show such wonderful support for me. I am fortunate to have had such a strong core group in this town. The feeling of rebuilding that is quite daunting.

I feel stranger now at this moment than ever. I officially have no car, I drove a car for the last time-for a while at least-tonight. Until we arrive in New York, I will have no apartment keys on my key chain for the first time in ten years. These things may seem insignificant, but consider again that this was the first place that I made my own home.

I guess I can finally understand the famous quote, "There's no place like home..." After all, that story did take place nearby. Now, if anyone thinks I'm going to wear ruby slippers, then think again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment