Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Performance week day one.

I certainly will come away from this week with memories of dancing to last me a long, long time. I haven't hurt this much or been so tired in years. Careful the things you wish for!

Joking aside, I am thankful to get to be in all three of the pieces in this program. It has been a long time since that has happened. It's the luck of the draw. To quote Ol' Blue Eyes, "You're riding high in April, shot down in May." Sometimes this is how it feels in a mixed repertory ensemble company. It can and has been frustrating at times. In this company, I have had to learn a valuable lesson that I will take with me. Sometimes you're the star, oftentimes you're not. Of course, there are exceptions to that rule. There are those select few who are always the star. It's the same way in theatre. That's life! It's not fair. Once I began to accept that reality, things were a lot rosier for me. This would have been a bad career for me to choose, and especially the next one, if I felt that I was entitled to always dance the lead.

Fortunately, though I definitely wouldn't say I'm the star of this show, I am loving the opportunity to dance so much. I really have missed it as I haven't felt that I have done quite so much over the last year or so. I am continually realizing, as I've stated before, how perfect a season this is for me to go out on. The repertory is great for me. I am completely grateful.

For now, I must crash and prepare for the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment